PASIC 2017 Mock Audition
Presented each year at PASIC, the PAS Mock Audition is a valuable opportunity to learn from renowned symphonic percussionists from around the world!
Thursday, November 9, 2017
4:00PM Room 204
5 finalists will be selected to perform live at PASIC in Indianapolis, IN. Participants will receive direct written and oral feedback from the panelists. The Grand Prize will be awarded to the winner, with additional prizes distributed to 2nd-5th place finishers.
NEW Majestic 14×5 Prophonic Brass Snare Drum
1 Grover G2/GS German Silver Tambourine
1 Grover TR-6 Super-Overtone Triangle
1 Grover PTC Pro Triangle Clip
1 Grover TR-BS Brass Tubular Beater Set
2 Grover Rock Maple Woodblocks ( 7” & 9”)
Sabian 18” HH Sus Cymbal
Zildjian Crash Cymbals
Black Swamp Percussion Pro Concert Castanets w/ Case
Black Swamp Percussion Castanet Machine Frame
2017 Mock Audition Required Repertoire
Prokofiev: Lt. Kije (Reh. #1 to #2)
Rimsky Korsakov – Capriccio Espanol (Mvt. IV, beg. to 10 after L)
Rimsky Korsakov – Scheherazade (Mvt. III, D-G)
Rimsky Korsakov – Scheherazade Mvt. IV P-U)
Shostakovich – Symphony No. 10 (Mvt. II: 98 – end)
Copland: Appalachian Spring (5 after 48 to the 5/8 measure)
Gershwin – Porgy and Bess (Opening Passage)
Kabalebsky: Colas Breugnon 9 to 12 & 8 after 35
Messiaen: Exotic Birds (#6 to #7)
Kodaly: Hary Janos (Mvt. VI: beginning to #1 & #10 to end of the Mvt.)
Dukas – Sorcerer’s Apprentice (17 to 24)
Respighi: Pines of Rome (13 after #7 until the end of the Mvt.)
Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty (5 after 140 to 177)
J.S. Bach: Cello Suite in G; Allemande (no repeats)
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 (32 to 18 before 33)
Tchaikovsky: Romeo & Juliet (2 before O for 12 measures &/or
Tchaikovsky: Romeo & Juliet 20 measures after S for 7 measures)
Chabier: Espana (L to 4 before M)
Stravinsky – Petrouchka 1947 (3 after 201 to 206)
2017 Mock Audition Judges
Jeremy Branson, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
Peter Kogan, Minnesota Orchestra (retired)
John Kilkenny, George Mason University
Braham Dembar, Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
John Kinzie, Colorado Symphony Orchestra
Paul Berns, Proctor, Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
Mock Audition Application Process
To apply to participate at this year’s Mock Audition:
- All applicants must be active PAS Members at the VIP Level or higher.
- All applicants must prepare the required repertoire above.
- The judges have the right to reduce the audition repertoire if required.
- All applicants must send a resume and PAS ID # to: Kathryn Yuill – firstname.lastname@example.org by September 25.
- Finalists will be selected via resume by a panel of judges for the live round at PASIC.
- *Applicants not selected to perform at PASIC may submit video recordings of the repertoire list for direct written feedback from Symphonic committee members.
- Finalists will be notified of their selection by October 5, 2017
- All participants must be pre-registered for PASIC